Thursday 4 April 2013

rsi and gluten free bread

Well, I've been on essential-only duties for the last week or two as I managed to flare up my RSI. So, try as I might, I just couldn't add crochet to my "essential" list and so have been craving the creating. It has pretty much settled down now, so I am back with the hook making something entirely new but more on that another time.

Whilst I have been out of crochet action, there are a number of other things that stayed on my essential duties list. And one of those is making gluten free bread. Having a bread maker (which I have due to said RSI), makes making bread easy and gluten free bread is easy too.



I make this one at least once a week. It is a combination/made by me recipe loosely based on a gluten free recipe from the book that came with my Breville bread maker. I've been playing around with gluten free breads and bread mixes for a while, and this is hands down the easiest one I make. Here's how:

Rice Flour Gluten Free Bread

In a measuring jug mix:
  • 400ml (approx) of water with 2 tbls of Greek yoghurt to make a total of 450ml of yoghurty-water
add:
  • 3 tbls oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar 
  • 1 tbls golden syrup (or you could use honey)
in a large bowl mix:
  • 2 1/4 C white rice flour
  • 1 C brown rice flour
  • 1 tbls Xantham gum
  • 2 tsp yeast
  • 1 small handful of gluten free seed mix (or pumpkin seeds)
  • 1 tsp salt
add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
Spoon into bread tin. Put bread maker on the largest loaf setting with a dark crust (my machine has a 1250g setting). Press go and walk away. Come back when finished and enjoy your bread!

 
As with most GF breads, this works better reheated as toast the day after making.

1 comment:

Leonie said...

Looks like a fab recipe! I will be sharing it with a few gf friends!

Related Posts with Thumbnails